Book apps outnumber game apps for the iPhone/iTouch

I love my iTouch. I really, sincerely, truly do. I can carry a small library around in my pocket. I know there is no substitute for an actual book, with the smell of the paper and the feel of it in your hand, but with the Stanza app on my iTouch, I have 40 "books" in my pocket. I use the term "books" losely, as four of them are fanfiction stories (three of which should qualify as books by their length alone, not to mention the quality) and one is the instruction manual for the app. One of them is a piece of extribulum, Nameless by Sam Starbuck, but is actually a book.

Next month, Apple is going to release their iPad. With all these ereaders floating around, what about actual physical books?

They're not going anywhere. At least, not in my opinion. And not anytime soon.

Yes, the iPad is going to be awesome. There will be bugs, there always are. The nook and the Kindle and the Sony Reader and the iTouch are all still going to sell. But, to me, nothing is going to replace the actual book. These devices just make travelling with my favorite novels a little less bulky. (Too many cords, though.)

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I still find it odd that a lot if my friends like reading on the I phone. Granted you can take plenty of books with you. But, even with illumination adjustments that has to be some strain on your eyes.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Extribulum, plural extribuli, is a book that originated on the internet, as coined by copperbadge on Livejournal.

This blog will focus on extribuli and ebooks and the ebook revolution. To search through topics, just look through the tags. I will do my best to tag each post appropriately to make browsing easy.

I am a graduate student at the University of Alabama in the Library and Information Studies program. I'm hoping to one day be a young adult librarian. Or maybe work on something in the technological side of the library. I work in a computer lab on campus right now, and have worked there since August, and I thoroughly enjoy my job.

Email Me!